Sunday, September 14, 2008

Week 2: Lemons and Rabbits

To begin, my allegation that I now live in the tropics was confirmed upon last weekend's journey north to visit the Penguin (who wishes it to be noted that the etiology of his name has nothing to do with Batman villain). Suffice to say, the Penguin was spending his last weekend in The Pet and despite being only a 6 hours drive due north, his part of the country was about 10 degrees cooler than here in the Tropical Tundra. This caught me completely off guard. I had only packed shorts and t-shirts and so I spent the majority of the weekend huddled in the Penguin's smallest sweaters (which were still miles too big) and sipping tea. Despite this, I had a brilliant weekend and thoroughly enjoyed being with the Penguin and relaxing in a climate that felt more like home.

After returning (to humidity and heat... but let's not forget fresh fruit!!), the rest of the week rolled through like a thunderstorm across the prairies – it had moments of peace, moments of beauty, and periods of excitement. It was overall a blessing to observe and participate.

On Thursday, I brought home a wee friends from the Steel City to keep me company. He's a mini rex rabbit that I've named Hoyle (his real name!). He's taken a few days to settle in and we're still getting used to each other. I've never had a bunny before so I'm constantly worried if I'm feeding him the right stuff, or enough, or what kind of toys he needs or games to play, how much to pet him, how much to let  him be, etc. etc. Overall, however, he's been great and we're learning about each other together.

Last night was Lemon Dinner night and Scarlett, Jack, and the Real-Deal (plus his wife and baby) came over for dinner. Since it was a lemon-themed dinner, everyone wore yellow and we had lemon cream chicken pasta with garlic bread for dinner and lemon tart for dessert. I also made my Organic King Tut lemonade to have with our meal and it was a big hit. Hoyle even bucked up enough courage to come out of his cage to visit... but he kept it short and sweet. I was quite proud of him, nonetheless.

Only 4 more sleeps until the Penguin comes here to visit as per our 2 week rotating commute schedule. Even with all the miles between us, I'm so lucky to have him in my life and I wouldn't give up this love for everything. Hopefully, Hoyle won't mind sharing. :)

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...