Monday, January 26, 2009

You're a Honda - not a Mercedes.

Today was our midterm evaluations and, while they didn't go badly, I feel like the good ol' balloon of self-esteem sprung another leak and continues to deflate. My clinical skills preceptor has this to say as a way of summarizing his feedback for me:

It's as if you are a car. Let's say you're a Honda. This means that you're a good car and certainly not deficient in any way. But, you're not a Mercedes.

Well, maybe I like Hondas! Not every doctor-to-be aspires to own a fancy, gas-guzzling car with leather seats and loud stereo, you know. Ok. Maybe I want my future vehicle to have a loud stereo... ideally, though, it would be an 80s ghetto-blaster strapped onto the back of my very classy European bicycle. Harumph.

In other news, I have acquired a new rabbit. Hoyle and I drove to the Center of the Universe to adopt her from Despair's cavern. She's a sweet, timid dutch cross and while it wasn't love at first sight, they certainly were snuggling by the time we made it back to the Tundra. This has been quite a relief since I had braced myself for months of bonding hell.

The new bunny's name is Jazz (really!) and she's still learning to come out of her shell. When you go to pet her, she'll pancake to the floor and pretend to be a turtle. It's awfully pitiful while still being very cute. Also, because she lived her whole life in a tiny cage, she hasn't developed the coordination to run, yet. Instead, when she wants Hoyle to play, she'll shake her head and hop around a bit, but sometimes she loses her balance and trips over her own feet. Hoyle stares at her like she's gone mad when this happens and, while it might mean that I'm a horrible person, this form of rabbit interlocution always makes me giggle.

Lastly, I would like to mention that I have discovered where the Herald of Spring winters. Today, I was confronted by a giant flock of them in the tree outside my building. It was a very odd feeling to be met with so many rosy breasts in the middle of January. I was also struck by the irony that this means that I conduct their migratory route once a month to go visit Penguin in the Far North. Who says that names don't define us, anyway?

Fruit-on-the-Bottom Yogurt Drought Persists, Day 3.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...