Thursday, February 5, 2009

People want to find a "meaning" in everything and everyone. That's the disease of our age...

...an age that is anything but practical but believes itself to be more practical than any other age. ~Pablo Picasso


Electives are stressful creatures.

Revision: electives are fun and motivating and educational. That's if you survive the process in trying to set one up.

I've been trying to nail down my summer block elective for 2 months now. Eight rejection e-mails later and I've got 1 week to make the NOSM deadline. I am currently juggling 3 balls: NOSM, Greenland, and Tropical Tundra.

I have become a hermit because whenever I talk to anyone else about the elective process, they tell me their amazing stories of their summer plans. Jack, for instance, is doing fly-in's up north (read: far, remote north). The Real Deal is going to cottage country. Steel Wheels is going to the Philippines. Sweet+Splendid is going to Africa. And, as of this moment, I am going nowhere.

To recover from rejection and to maintain morale, I've been trying to set up some horizontal electives. Namely, ER or surgery... since that's what I think I want to go into. With the assistance of 2 administrative assistants and 2 solid weeks of effort, I still haven't managed to get an acknowledgement from any of the local docs.

On the bright side, I discovered that the gym has a change room with a hot tub and cable TV. I go there now not to work out so much as maintain my sanity. Good grief.

1 comment:

Dave Heywood said...

Does the women's change room have a steam room too? Try that for stress relief...amazing!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...