Sunday, January 2, 2011

Weekly Update: New Year's Edition

  • Current Scholastic Pursuits
    • Happy New Year! It's 2011 at last - year of CaRMS, LMCCQE, (hopefully) graduation, and the beginning of residency. And that's all just within the first 5 months of 2011. Who knows what the second half of the year will hold!
    • At present, I'm starting to book my flights to all the interviews. I still have 3 responses pending, so fingers crossed that I'll hear back from those schools within the next couple of days. The tally still stands at 6 yes, 2 no, 3 pending.
    • Penguin and I accomplished both XCountry Skiing and NYE at the cottage this past week. Both experiences were amazing. The skiing was actually very good despite the mild and relatively uncooperative weather we've had over the holidays. We skied about 13 km along the parkway and it was lovely.
    • NYE was probably one of the best we've ever had. We had a package deal at a local motel/restaurant on the lake. The room was HUGE and lovely and very comfortable. The food was delicious. And the revelry was very pleasant. Highlights of the night included the live music at dinner being a guy who played covers on the acoustic guitar and harmonica (harmonica!!). Good tunes by the DJ for dancing afterwards. And definitely brunch. I loved brunch. It was delicious. That morning, I felt as relaxed and happy as I've ever felt. It was wonderful.
    • After we checked out of the hotel, we went to the cottage to check things out. 48 hours of rain made for a bit of miserable day but we were unperturbed and we built a snow rabbit (in honor of the year of the rabbit) and checked out the ice thickness with an eye to burn some brush in a few weeks when my uncle comes to visit. Then it was a quick drive back home to have dinner with Penguin's folks, followed by some time with mine, followed by a movie out. Whew! We sure do know how to party. :)
    • As always, Penguin and I made New Year's Resolutions. I'm posting mine here so that: (a) I'll remember what I resolved to do; (b) I'll have you to hold me accountable; and (c) cuz I'm always curious about other people's resolutions and I'm hoping that you'll post yours in the comments section.
      • My Resolutions:
        • continue to make food from scratch as per last year. Yet to do on my culinary checklist is homemade pasta. Tres exciting!
        • continue to be mostly vegetarian and (try to) eat only ethical meats. Ethical meats, for me, are defined as meat that comes from a farm that I am familiar with, who raises their animals in such a way that the critters enjoy very good lives, free to roam and scamper and enjoy the sunshine. This typically ends up being organic meat from a free-range farmer. In keeping with this, the meat must also be ethically slaughtered.
        • stop buying the majority of my food from the grocery store and go the farmer's market instead.
        • join a CSA this summer.
        • switch away from using disposable paper products. This includes kleenex, paper towel, and - yes, even - toilet paper. To replace these, I've acquired flankees (flannel hankies, so soft!), odd job towels for cleaning, an oil cloth (for greasing pans and drying the occasional bacon), and "family clothes" for the bathroom (to learn more about this program, check out this link). Of note, these family clothes are going to be for #1 only. I'll still use TP for #2 and of course have it on hand for guests.
        • Lastly - and most importantly - I resolve to survive this year with my sanity intact and without losing/gaining any weight because I am either too stressed out to eat or go to the gym.
        • Whew! That's sure enough to keep my busy for 2011!!!

  • Recipe I've Been Drooling Over...
  • Pengiun and I are making this chocolate torte for the Parental Dinner tonight! Yum!

  • Favourite Thing on Etsy This Week
  • Bicycle Cotton Fabric for Quilting Custom Illustration
  • This lovely bicycle fabric would go perfectly on my planned new-and-improved-couch-cushions!


  • TED Talk I Watched This Week...

  • Song of the Week

  • Thing I'm Most Grateful for the Week...
    • The cottage. I can't think of a better place on earth.

  • Thing I'm Most Looking Forward to this Week...
    • Hearing back from those last 3 schools about interviews and starting another GSx elective at my top choice school.

  • Bunny Photo of the Week
    • Happy Year of the Rabbit! May 2011 bring you the richest food the earth can grow, an abundance of adoring moments, and all the love your little hearts can muster.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...