Sunday, April 3, 2011

Weekly Update: April Fool's!

  • Current Scholastic Pursuits
    • This past week, we started our concept integration and review period aka as mad-studying time for the licensing exam (an exam that we have been told repeatedly by upper years that you CAN'T study for...). Anyway, the first week went well. I've mapped out my study schedule and I feel pretty good about things so far. Just gotta keep on track!
    • Yesterday was also highly productive. I did my taxes with Penguin, I studied, we went for a 6km run along the river, and we had Indian food for dinner then went to see Rango as a reward. Rango was great, I really liked it.
    • In other news, I won an award for my "academic performance" during Internal Medicine in clerkship. This came as quite a shock: first, because I know I failed that end-of-rotation exam; second, because Internal was definitely not my shining moment in clerkship; and third, because everyone knows I love Gen Surg and that's what I matched to. But, the award comes with a $500 cash prize, so I wasn't about to say no. The sketchy part was how they introduced us to the award: they sent an email out on April 1st, in the morning, and told us they needed our SIN number to get finance to cut us the cheques. I honestly thought that it was a very crafty april fool's joke and fired them back an email that said I wasn't that gullible. But, apparently, things were legit!
    • Finally, to follow up on my last post and my vacation dilemmas - we've decided to save the Basecamp hike for a later time (these's words have never passed my lips before, so it's taking me some time to get used to the idea). Instead, we'll be doing Algonquin with friends, I'll hopefully be able to go visit Melon (at long last!), and generally take my time with the packing and moving process.


  • Recipe I've Been Drooling Over
    • After Indian food last night, I have become obsessed with figuring out how to make pappadums. I found this recipe online. It looks hopeful. I will let you know how it goes!

  • Favourite Thing on Etsy this Week
    • Check out this super cute children's book I found on Etsy... it's about a King who is loves with the number five but then discovers that he has six fingers!! Here's the quote from the item's page:
    • "The story deals with an obsessive compulsive, polydactyly (hexadactyly) King and unfolds in a whimsical rhyme accompanied by mid-century illustrations. It ends on a very positive note with an important lesson about maintaining balance in your life."



  • TED Talk I Watched This Week
    • Here's one of the TED talks from the music video I posted last week. It's about a neuroanatomist who has a stroke at a young age. It's very moving and I hope you're able to find time to watch it.

  • Song of the Week
    • Airport Life by Dead Child Star.



  • Thing I'm Most Grateful for This Week
    • Penguin!! On Thursday night, he surprised me with a special dinner (pork loin purchased from our ethical butcher), rice, and grilled apples, as well as wine and cupcakes decorated as frogs. And as if that wasn't enough, he also had a little present and card for me to celebrate my getting into residency. I am the luckiest, and happiest, girl in the world. Thank you Penguin. xo


    • Thing I'm Most Looking Forward to This Week
      • Getting our last OSCE over with!! The next day, we get to party at our campus-specific grad party. Yay!


    • Bunny Photo of the Week
      • Bunny loaf (Jazz) disapproves of the concept that it will take 3 days of driving to get to Winnipeg. To demonstrate her disapproval, she has gone into the most berserk molt of all time. God, save us.

    2 comments:

    Penguin said...

    Can't wait to eat those pappadums!

    meg said...

    HOW DID I MISS THIS POST WHERE YOU SAID YOU MIGHT GET TO COME AND SEE ME?

    *FLAIL* ELEVENTY!!1!!

    Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...