Monday, April 18, 2011

Weekly Update: April Snow Brings... Thunder.


  • Current Scholastic Pursuits
    • Time seems to be slipping by faster than I'd like it to. Our study "break" is already half over and I don't feel anywhere near ready for this exam. The knowledge that I can never actually prepare for it is only a little comforting.
    • This past week, I've been chatting with my colleagues and many of us are expressing that the anxiety is the worst part. It's unrelenting. If you don't study, you feel anxious because you're not working. If you do study, you feel anxious because you realize how little you know and how much you have to learn. There's no winning. The only way I can cope is to go to the gym or take the Impala out for a ride. Unfortunately, I got sick over the weekend and had to stay home from yoga tonight. Here's hoping it'll be a quick bug and I'll be back at it soon.
    • In other news, we survived ACLS this weekend. ACLS stands for Advanced Cardiac Life Support and it's the course that all residents must take before starting to work in the hospital. The course teaches you what to do when a Code Blue is called- ie. when someone stops breathing or their heart stops. It covered everything from how to secure an advanced airway (intubate/stick a tube into their trachea) to when and how to deliver electricity to the heart to get it beating again. The course was really well run and I learned a ton. I also learned that July 1st is going to mark the beginning of some very sleepless, anxiety-ridden nights. But, I think that with a little practice, it will all be ok.
    • On the bright side, I distinctly remember a few days last week when it was sunny, warm, and I was feeling healthy. I remember feeling really, really happy (as opposed to sick, exhausted, and stressed out). So, it's good to know that I'll bounce back to that state. A little TLC, some home cooked food this weekend over Easter, and I should be shipshape in no time.

  • Recipe I've Been Drooling Over
    • This little Lavender Cake is presented in a Lemon parcel and is just as sweet as punch. I'd love to give this recipe a go. Check it out here.



  • Favourite Thing on Etsy this Week
    • I fell head over heels in love with this cast iron bathtub couch. Sheer brilliance. When I am a rich woman, I will buy one of these.
Cast Iron Bathtub Couch
  • What I'm Reading Right Now
    • Still T-Notes. No news there, sorry folks.


  • TED Talk I Watched This Week
    • It's not a TED Talk but it is a wonderful and touching piece. This week, I offer you Field Notes by James Maskalyk - a Toronoto ER doc who is currently working for MSF in a refugee camp in Dadaab, Kenya
    • Here's a quote to get you hooked- 
      • "though i could do it more, i find that in medicine, like in life, its usually best to let yourself go, to hope deeply, even if it means the pain of it being dashed.  to release, as much as you can, the tiny elastics those pains have placed around your heart because if you don’t, you can forget what its there for, and with that, what we’re here for, this short time on a rock spinning wild and green around one of a trillion trillion stars."


    • Song of the Week
      • Pure Gold: 9 Piece Luggage Set by Radio Radio
      • The ending is a bit weird - just watch the video part.

    • Thing I'm Most Grateful for This Week
      • I'm most grateful this week for the freedom to do what I do- to be given the opportunity and courage to dare, to adventure, to love deeply... it's such a privilege to have the time, energy, and well being to dig into life and slowly crumble away the boundaries that individual perception has put between me and understanding- experiencing without reservation, the oneness of the universe.


    • Thing I'm Most Looking Forward to This Week
      • Going home for Easter - and listening to someone else's music in the car! Not to mention, seeing Penguin and my family.


    • Bunny Photo of the Week
      • Here's the Jazz bunny - shocked that she's not allowed to destroy the mat that's in the bathroom.

      No comments:

      Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...